residual self image

Saturday, August 13, 2005

The java class is very boring

The java class is very boring. My mind wanders about aimlessly. What should I think about to get my mind off this class?? Where should I travel to in the realms of my mind to find some adventure?




There is a slight movement behind me; somebody is slowly creeping towards me. I roll over the floor from my crouched position, turn around and shoot the guard between the eyes. The silencer reduces the shot to an inaudible whimper. I catch the guard before he hits the floor. I hold my breath for a minute, apparently nobody heard us. I carry the poor guy’s body into the shadows of the coffee machine and relieve him of the walky-talky and the stun gun. I need those more than he does. I find an access card in his pockets. This should get me through to the electrical rooms in the basement.

“Lambert! I might I found a way to knock out the alarms on the 3rd floor”

“Fisher! You better hurry up. There is a guard change scheduled in 20 minutes”

I am about to get out into the lobby when the dead guard’s watch catches my attention. Damn it! It’s not a watch it’s some kind of a bio-reader disguised as a wristwatch. Shit! I quickly take off the device and strap it on. Too late. Alarms start ringing though out the building. I guess guards would be here soon. The device must have a location tracker in it.



“Damn it Fisher! The mission’s over. Get out of there”

“Sorry Lambert. Not this time, it’s not your show now. It’s all in my mind. None of your rules in here.”

“Fisher! It’s an order. The game’s over. You failed the mission.”


“I am not playing the whole level over again. I can take down these guys like Rambo does. And put on Cohen, am sick of your attitude Lambert”

“Sam! Lambert’s right. We can’t risk your capture. They will know about the Third Echelon”.

“Great! That’s what you care about? I thought you love me!” I don’t know which troubled me more, Cohen’s talk or the imminent capture.



“HEY! Whose there??” shouts a guard. I turn around. A big burly guard is cautiously advancing towards me wielding a baton.

I shoot him at point blank. But he keeps advancing. I empty the whole magazine into him, but he doesn’t stop.


“Hey! You there!! Are you with us??” Suddenly I am back in the class. The instructor is standing near me staring down at me. He isn’t the only one; I am the center of attraction for the entire class.

“Yes Sir??” damn it, I am screwed!

“What was I telling you about creating packages in java?”

How am I supposed to know? I was day dreaming! Maybe you put some rabbits, carrots and onions in a cauldron, stir it for a while and voila …. Packages are ready. “I am sorry Sir, I wasn’t paying attention.”




What happened next?? I am sent to meet the department HR. I don’t mind seeing the HR once in a while, she’s young and she’s beautiful; but I would rather love to meet her in much better circumstances.

She agrees with me that the classes are boring but the company is paying for me to attend the classes, so that I can learn and work for the company and bring them dollars from Uncle Sam, so that they can pay me in Indian currency, so that I can pay my landlord, pay the phone bills, buy food and go on shopping sprees and of course the most important thing in my daily life…browse the net for hours together.

She is smiling as she says all this, but I know that in the back of her head she’s noted me down as the first candidate when the next retrenchment is to happen. I smile back and drag myself back to the java class.


This cup of java is quite bitter, I want a Coke!



PS- Peter Berg ("Friday Night Lights") has signed on to direct the movie "Splinter Cell," based on the Tom Clancy videogame. Paramount Pictures hired Berg to direct the film and write the script with videogame writer JT Petty and John J. McLaughlin. George Clooney is rumored to be the favorite candidate to play Sam Fisher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home